Each year on the third Friday in May, millions of pizza lovers across the nation join in extolling the qualities of pizza on National Pizza Party Day. Celebrate by inviting friends and family to share a night of fun at your favorite pizzeria. Another way to celebrate is with a homemade pizza with fresh toppings or by having one delivered.
- In ancient Greece, Greeks enjoyed bread covered with oils, herbs, and cheese.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.