1. Take them down from that pedestal – even if they were great, they still had lots of flaws and were less than perfect.
2. Recognise that it is over – and actively decide to leave the past behind and move on with your life.
3. Don’t contact them at all. It is hard to move on, and to start again, if you keep them in your life.
4. Avoid the places you know they tend to be; and only see mutual friends when they are not around.
5. Go out with your friends, don’t stay at home on your own. If you’re out having fun you will think of them less often.