1. People with mental health problems are likely to need different kinds of supports at different times.
2. Probably the most important thing you can do is to listen in a caring, and non-judgmental way. That simple act will usually mean a lot as mental health issues are often misunderstood by the general population.
3. Always treated the person with respect, acceptance and compassion.
4. You don’t have to do too much – just stay in contact with your friend, invite them over, or hang out with them.
5. Remember that your friend is looking for a friend – and not a counselor, or psychiatrist.
6. Offering practical support can be the right thing at times, as going through a hard time can leave you feeling overwhelmed.