1. Take responsibility for what you said or did.
2. Think about how you were feeling at the time, or what was driving you to act in that way.
3. Related to this, try to identify the underlying need, or the motive behind the thing you now regret. (For example, respect from others, approval from others, wanting to feel good about yourself, wanting to pay another back, and so on.)
4. Express your regrets and attempt to make amends if your words or your actions have affected someone else.
5. Think of how you’ll change and will act differently, if the same situation occurs again. This is the real person that you truly want to be.
6. Write yourself a caring and empathic letter where you forgive yourself, and tell yourself you can move on.
7. Remember that your human – and we all have deep regrets; and we’re all on a journey – for there’s non-one who is perfect.