Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border:

Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border:

Deployment numbers are increased from initial estimates of 800 troops, in anticipation of migrant caravan

The U.S. military plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the southwest U.S. border in anticipation of a caravan of would-be asylum seekers and migrants currently moving northward in Mexico, U.S. officials said Monday.

The new figure is a major increase from initial estimates of 800 troops and would represent a military force equal to about one-third the number of customs officials currently working at the border. The military sent about 2,000 National Guard troops to the area earlier this year.

“This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!” President Trump wrote on Twitter on Monday morning, without directly mentioning troop numbers.

Mr. Trump also repeated his previous assertion that gang members and criminals were hiding among the migrants. The White House has provided no evidence that such people are in the caravan. Many of the people in the caravan have said they are fleeing violence, poverty and political instability.

The U.S. and federal law-enforcement officials said troops are likely to be deployed to ports of entry, at least in initial phases of the U.S. military mission, which the Pentagon has named Operation Faithful Patriot.

U.S. troops later expect to support border officials by doing things like building tents, providing medical support and helping staff command and control centers.

Under the latest plans, about 1,800 troops will go to Texas, 1,700 to Arizona and 1,500 to California. The troops will be drawn from about 10 U.S. Army installations and consist largely of military police and engineers, one of the U.S. officials said. U.S. Marines also will be deployed, the U.S. official said.

Some already have begun to deploy to the area and most are expected to serve there until mid-December, a Pentagon official said.

The additional troops would mean that the number of U.S. forces deployed at the border would be greater than those currently in Syria and Iraq, and roughly half of those deployed in Afghanistan.

A Pentagon spokesman called any figures about troop deployments “premature.”

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan said Friday that the agency wasn’t considering plans to have troops enforce immigration law.

Mr. McAleenan said his agency is updating longstanding plans to deal with a mass migration situation, including possible temporary holding and processing facilities.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Many Gang Members and some very bad people are mixed into the Caravan heading to our Southern Border. Please go back, you will not be admitted into the United States unless you go through the legal process. This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!

He said officials will devise plans to ensure “we can secure the ports (of entry) to prevent a large group from coming at one time,” Mr. McAleenan said.

Earlier this year, officials from the Department of Homeland Security, including Mr. McAleenan and Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, publicly encouraged would-be asylum seekers to ask for refuge at ports of entry, saying that was the only legal way to apply for asylum at the U.S. border. Crossing the border illegally is a federal misdemeanor.

Since the spring, foreigners have routinely had to wait days or weeks to cross the border and ask for asylum at border crossings from San Diego to Brownsville, Texas, forcing them to stay in shelters in Mexico.

Mr. McAleenan, who spoke to reporters Friday during a tour of the ports of entry near San Diego, said the agency was making contingency plans for an increase in asylum seekers at ports of entry, including the anticipated arrival of thousands of migrants in the caravan making their way from Central America through Mexico. Plans include an expansion of metering how many asylum seekers are allowed into each port daily.

The agency also is considering what to do about people who have been waiting in Mexico, as directed by U.S. border officials, should the president temporarily bar asylum seekers from the border.

Thousands of migrants from Central America have been walking toward the U.S. through Mexico after pushing past border authorities in Honduras and Guatemala.

On Sunday, a 26-year-old Honduran man died in a violent clash with Mexican and Guatemalan authorities as a second group of migrants sought to cross the border.

Mexico has offered to let caravan members apply for asylum in that country and obtain work permits and have children enrolled in local schools.

Nearly 2,000 people have filed for asylum in Mexico, according to Mexican Interior Minister Alfonso Navarrete. Many thousands of others have decided to march on toward the U.S.

It is unclear where they may try to cross the border. The group is more than 1,000 miles away from the U.S. in southern Mexico. The closest stretch of the U.S. border with Mexico is in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas, the busiest spot along the border for illegal border crossings.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s