Bannon is out:

Bannon is out:

Steve Bannon is out at the White House.

  • President Trump has decided to push out Bannon: Top sources tell Axios that Bannon is telling people he resigned on August 7th to be effective on August 14th, his 1-year anniversary at the White House.
  • Today is Bannon’s last day at work, per the White House: “White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve’s last day. We are grateful for his service and wish him the best.”
  • From a senior White House official: “Steve was made aware he was going to be asked to leave.. he was given the opportunity to do it on his own terms. He was told the decision had been made and that he would no longer be serving at the WH.”

Axios reported earlier Friday that a decision on Bannon’s future was imminent from new White House chief of staff John Kelly.

White House review nears end- Officials expect Bannon firing:

White House review nears end- Officials expect Bannon firing:

Photo published for White House review nears end: Officials expect Bannon firing

A decision is imminent from White House chief of staff John Kelly on whether Steve Bannon will keep his job, according to administration officials with knowledge of the situation:

  • Bannon, who has run afoul of Trump in the past, is now suspected by the president of leaking about his West Wing colleagues. And Trump resents the publicity Bannon has been getting as mastermind of the campaign.
  • Many West Wing officials are now asking “when,” not “if,” Bannon goes.
  • Chief of Staff General John Kelly has been reviewing Bannon’s position.
  • A recent deluge of media coverage of Bannon — including Bannon’s explosive conversation with the American Prospect — have not escaped either the president’s or Kelly’s attention.

One White House source twists the knife: “His departure may seem turbulent in the media, but inside it will be very smooth. He has no projects or responsibilities to hand off.”

Why Bannon might still survive:

  • Trump often sends mixed signals about his personnel plans, and makes decisions — both to keep and dismiss people — on whim.
  • Bannon, with his close connection to the president’s base, is the one West Wing official who could do authentic damage to Trump on the outside.
  • We’re told that Bannon’s friendship with the billionaire Mercer family, who has been an important Trump ally, is a factor in the president’s decision and could be part of the strategist’s survival package.

Bannon is unfazed, according to friends and confidants:

  • That’s readily apparent from his media appearances. He seems unburdened, giving on the record interviews to publications including the New York Times, where he’s unapologetically defending Trump’s controversial comments in the fallout from the racist carnage in Charlottesville.
  • One senior White House official said it seemed like Bannon was setting himself up to be a martyr — the nationalist hero fired by the “globalists.”
  • He’d return to the outside world, a leader in the populist nationalist movement worldwide, with a partner in hedge fund billionaire Bob Mercer, who has deep pockets and would make Bannon even more of a force to be reckoned with on the outside. Plus he has the killing machine of Breitbart to return to.

Bannon has felt freed this past week and has told friends that he is ready to go “medieval” on enemies of Trump and his populist agenda both in and out of the White House.

  • A source close to Bannon: “This week is a good window into what Bannon outside the [White House] would look like: A strong defense of POTUS and ‘fire and fury’ for enemies of The Trump agenda.”
  • “Get ready for Bannon the barbarian.”
The Entire US Military Has Now Openly Broken With Trump And Denounced Racism:

The Entire US Military Has Now Openly Broken With Trump And Denounced Racism:

The men in charge of all the branches of the US military have denounced racism and broken with President Trump’s encouragement of racists.

The Entire US Military Has Now Openly Broken With Trump And Denounced Racism

The men in charge of all the branches of the US military have denounced racism and broken with President Trump’s encouragement of racists.

Army Chief Gen. Mark Milley tweeted:

The Army doesn’t tolerate racism, extremism, or hatred in our ranks. It’s against our Values and everything we’ve stood for since 1775.

Gen. Joseph Lengyel of the National Guard tweeted:

I stand with my fellow Joint Chiefs in condemning racism, extremism & hatred. Our diversity is our strength. 

The Chief of Staff of the Air Force tweeted:

I stand with my fellow service chiefs in saying we’re always stronger together-it’s who we are as 

Gen. Robert Neller of the Marine Corps tweeted:

Adm. John Richardson of the US Navy tweeted:

Events in Charlottesville unacceptable & musnt be tolerated forever stands against intolerance & hatred…

The Joint Chiefs have to protect their branches of the military while still respecting the chain of command, which is why none of them personally condemned Trump, but it was clear that all of them were concerned about Trump inspired racism infecting the military.

The statements by the military leaders were another example of institutions trying to save themselves from destruction at the hands of this president. Never have military leaders so openly disagreed with views put forward by a president.

Trump has weakened every other major aspect of the presidency, so it isn’t surprising that he has also diminished the presidential role of commander in chief.

Even the military is trying to protect itself from the vile toxicity of Donald J. Trump.

By  on Wed, Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:40 pm

A third organization joins charities leaving Mar-a-Lago:

A third organization joins charities leaving Mar-a-Lago:

Three major philanthropic organizations said Thursday they are pulling their events from President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club, with one already in discussions to move its 2018 fundraiser to another A-list oceanfront setting.

Thursday afternoon, the Cleveland Clinic and American Cancer Society announced they were leaving the president’s Palm Beach estate.

Late Thursday, the American Friends of Magen David Adom, an organization supporting Israel disaster relief programs, told The Palm Beach Post it is canceling a planned fund-raising gala at Mar-a-Lago, set for Sunday, Feb. 25.

 

“After considerable deliberation, AFMDA — an apolitical and humanitarian aid organization — will not hold its 2018 Palm Beach Celebration of Life Gala at Mar-a-Lago,” the brief statement said. Magen David Adom is Israel’s ambulance, blood services and disaster-relief organization.

 

Last season’s gala, held Feb. 26, featured more than 600 attendees who paid $650 per ticket.

 

Also Thursday, a prominent business leader on Palm Beach urged other charitable organizations sticking with Mar-a-Lago to reconsider their commitment to the president’s club. Laurel Baker, executive director of the Palm Beach Chamber of Commerce, told those groups and their deep-pocket donors to “have a conscience” and seek another venue for their events.

 

The decisions by the American Cancer Society, Cleveland Clinic and the AFMDA were three of the latest examples of pushback to Trump in the days since the president’s off-the-cuff, combative and controversial news conference on Tuesday at Trump Tower, where he renewed his statements that “both sides” were at fault in the deadly violence in Charlottesville, Va., sparked by marches by neo-Nazis and white supremacists last weekend.

 

“Our values and commitment to diversity are critical as we work to address the impact of cancer in every community,” the American Cancer Society said in announcing it would move two 2018 events, a dinner for sponsors and its 60th anniversary gala, from the president’s Palm Beach estate. “It has become increasingly clear that the challenge to those values is outweighing other business considerations.”

 

That announcement followed a decision by Cleveland Clinic, a leading research hospital in the United States with a location in West Palm Beach, to move its eventpossibly to the Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa.

 

Nick Gold, the public relations director of the oceanfront Eau Palm Beach , said it is working with the hospital in hopes of hosting next year’s event.

“Their first call was to us,” Gold said. “We are talking to them. … We certainly want to work with The Cleveland Clinic.”

 

The American Cancer Society said it has not settled on a new location and is evaluating venue options. No further information was available about whether AFMDA would try to hold an event elsewhere in Palm Beach County during the season.

 

The Cleveland Clinic’s move follows reverses previous assertions its event would go on at Trump’s Palm Beach estate as planned, despite protests and letters of concern from some who demanded the venue be changed.

 

The hospital has hosted the fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago for the past eight years, according to The Associated Press, raising anywhere from $700,000 to $1 million a year.

 

A representative for the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach said the nonprofit has no plans to move its fundraising event — The Palm Beach Wine Auction — which is scheduled to be held at Mar-a-Lago on Feb. 1. Tickets to the auction are $1,000 a person.

The Big Dog Ranch Rescue in Loxahatchee Groves also still plans to have one of its major fundraisers at Mar-a-Lago. The “Wine, Women and Shoes” event is scheduled for March 10, said Robin Friedman, Big Dog Ranch director of development.

 

“Most of our supporters know that we do what we do for our dogs, and that just happens to be the best venue,” Friedman said of Mar-a-Lago. “In fact, it’s one of the only venues where we can do an event of our size in the daytime.”

 

The president’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, is co-chairing the Big Dog Ranch Mar-a-Lago event with Georgina Bloomberg, daughter of billionaire Michael Bloomberg.

The animal-rescue group is expecting 600 attendees — up from 450 last year. The group raised $1.1 million at its Mar-a-Lago event last year, and Friedman said “we are definitely expecting more” for 2018.

 

Nonetheless, Palm Beach County event venues have made clear they would be receptive to discussing opportunities with charities considering a move.

 

The Eau, located on a 7-acre site with ocean views and lush tropical gardens in Manalapan, underwent a major transformation in 2013 — dropping the Ritz-Carlton name and rebranding itself as a beachfront getaway for out-of-town guests and locals looking for a beachfront retreat. The property consistently ranks among the best resorts in the state. This spring, Chinese President Xi Jinping stayed at the resort during his two-day summit with Trump at Mar-a-Lago.

 

Gold said the resort can accommodate as many as 500 guests for a seated dinner. In addition to the Cleveland Clinic, the Eau has received inquiries from other charities looking to move events away from Mar-a-Lago, Gold said.

“We do see a lot of charities that are checking spaces to see what can be done,” Gold said.

 

Dave Anderson, the general manager of the Palm Beach County Convention Center in West Palm Beach, said the venue is also hearing from groups who may be interested in moving events previously held at Mar-a-Lago. The convention center can host groups of roughly 1,000 people.

 

“We have a beautiful ballroom,” Anderson said. “We have a fantastic chef. … It is a great venue for social events. The only thing I can’t provide is an ocean at my doorstep.”

One leader in Palm Beach’s business community urged the charitable groups to consider a change of venue.

 

The Palm Beach Chamber’s Baker minced no words Thursday about whether charities should abandon Mar-a-Lago this season.

“If you have a conscience, you’re really condoning bad behavior by continuing to be there,” Baker said. “Many say it’s the dollars (raised at the events) that count. Yes. But the integrity of any or organization rests on their sound decisions and stewardship.”

She added: “Personally, I do not feel that supporting him, directly or indirectly, speaks well of any organization.”

 

Baker’s comments are the strongest yet from Palm Beach County’s business community in the wake of Trump’s conflicting and, to many, polarizing statements made in the aftermath of the weekend violence.

 

Last Friday night, neo-Nazis and white supremacists marched through the northwestern Virginia town that is home to Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. On Saturday, a suspected white supremacist a rammed a car into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one and injuring 19.

 

In response, Trump first blamed Saturday’s violence “on many sides,” but zeroed in specific criticism of the Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazis two days later after a backlash to his initial statement.

 

However, Trump doubled down on his first set of comments during Tuesday’s volatile news conference — and then tweeted support for Confederate monuments on Thursday.

No one from the Palm Beach County business community had spoken out publicly — until Baker.

 

Baker also expressed no patience for charities that will try to keep a low profile during this turbulent period.

“I hope that people will not maintain their neutrality,” she said. “This is the best time ever for people to show their backbone.”

 

Baker encouraged all charities to re-examine their core purpose for guidance about how to react to Trump’s comments.

In particular, she called out charities that advocate for social justice, the disabled, the poor and the sick.

 

“Look at your mission statement,” Baker said. “Are you living up to it?”

The Cleveland Clinic’s departure from Mar-a-Lago was no surprise after CEO Toby Cosgrove distanced himself from Trump following Tuesday’s comments. Cosgrove was one of a number of CEOs who stepped down from two White House business councils.

Trump later said he was disbanding that council and another after a rash of defections by other business industry leaders, including the CEOs of 3M, Campbell Soup Co. and United Technologies.

 

“Rather than putting pressure on the businesspeople of the Manufacturing Council & Strategy & Policy Forum, I am ending both,” the president tweeted. “Thank you all!”

But the pressure for the Cleveland Clinic to move its event from Mar-a-Lago started this past spring, with petitions and backlash against the Ohio-based hospital and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as each planned lavish galas on the Palm Beach resort’s grounds during the first months of Trump’s presidency.

BY:

 Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

7:54 p.m Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017
Eight people charged for toppling Confederate statue in Durham as scores line up to confess:

Eight people charged for toppling Confederate statue in Durham as scores line up to confess:

The Rev. Joe Stapleton of Cornerstone Community Church waits in line outside the Durham County Jail. (Casey Toth/Herald-Sun/AP)

It is a simple statement so evocative that Hollywood has turned to it more than once for a movie ending that brims with solidarity and social meaning. Spike Lee gave the final moments of his 1992 “Malcolm X” biopic over to a montage of men, women and children saying the words, “I am Malcolm X.” The auteurs of the 2017 Netflix documentary “I Am Jane Doe” adopted the same concept for the title of the film exploring the role of online advertising in the sexual exploitation of girls.

In Durham, N.C. Thursday, a group of demonstrators channeled that concept — a collective representing one — to give that symbolic act timely, real-world meaning.

Scores of people lined up in front of the sheriff’s office Thursday to “confess” to vandalizing a Confederate statue that protesters pulled down from its pedestal earlier this week, a demonstration meant to raise concerns about the charges leveled against the alleged perpetrators.

View image on Twitter

Want to make sure you all saw this photo. It’s the line of people in Durham waiting to turn themselves in for toppling the Confed statue.

An estimated 200 to 300 people showed up at the sheriff’s office to collectively accept responsibility for the damaged monument, said Courtney Sebring, the Durham County co-chair of the Black Youth 100 Project. Durham County Sheriff Michael Andrews and people live tweeting from the scene estimated the gathering attracted more than 100 participants.

Several dozen “anti-fascist” and community groups had rallied around the Confederate soldier statue on Monday as it was pulled from its pedestal outside the old Durham County Courthouse and left in a mangled heap. It had stood atop an engraved pedestal that read, “In memory of ‘the boys who wore the gray.’ ” It was erected in 1924 and stood 15 feet tall, according to a memorial database. On one side of the granite pedestal is an image of a Confederate flag.

Sheriff’s deputies announced early Tuesday that video officials had taken during the protest would be used to identify and arrest people directly involved in pulling the statue from its pedestal. Later that morning, sheriff’s deputies arrested Takiyah Thompson, 22, and charged her with a collection of felony and misdemeanor charges, including disorderly conduct, damage to real property, participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 and inciting others to riot where there is property damage in excess of $1,500.

In video of the scene, Thompson can be seen climbing a silver ladder and affixing a yellow strap to the head and neck of the Confederate figure, which was then pulled to the ground.

By Wednesday, three additional activists who had been identified and charged with similar crimes turned themselves in to sheriff’s deputies: Dante Emmanuel Strobino, 35; Ngoc Loan Tran, 24; Peter Gull Gilbert, 39.

Walking in to sheriffs office to collectively turn ourselves to say: targeting racial justice organizers? arrest me too!

The array of felony charges outraged many people around the city, Sebring said. The Black Youth 100 Project was one of several involved in Monday’s protest and handling communications for those involved, she said.

“Folks are facing charges like felony incitement to a riot,” Sebring said. “A riot requires force and people to have been forced to participate, unable to move due to a violent situation — and every single person there wanted that monument down. They, together, no longer wanted white supremacy to be towering over downtown Durham.”

The sheriff’s department said it did not arrest anyone for participating in the Thursday demonstration at the sheriff’s office. However, three individuals were arrested at the demonstration in connection with the removal of the Confederate monument: Aaron Alexander Caldwell, 24; Raul Mauro Arce Jimenez, 26; and Elena Everett, 30. Taylor Alexander Jun Cook, 24, turned himself in later in the day.

 

All eight people arrested in connection with the monument removal have been released from custody.

Also in Durham on Thursday, Duke University reported that a Robert E. Lee statue in the portal of the campus chapel entrance was da,aged, according to the Herald-Sun. Parts of the statue’s face had been chipped off. It is one of 10 which ring the chapel’s entrance and were included when the chapel was first built.

The defaced Gen. Robert E. Lee statue stands at the Duke Chapel on Thursday. (Bernard Thomas/The Herald-Sun via AP)

 August 17 at 7:42 PM